“We’re God in Drag!” Farewell Ram Dass 383480266795
Baba Ram Dass, beloved New Age Guru, walked himself home this past Monday at the wonderful age of 88. “Baba" was all about teaching mindfulness and grace. His most famous book, BE HERE NOW, helped Westerners understand Eastern philosophy.
Here are five of his most famous quotes:
- “Treat everyone you meet like God in drag.” I know this statement is funny, but its meaning lies underneath its surface. Everyone is God.
- “We are all just walking each other home.” This sentiment is just so beautiful. One aspect of our “oneness” is the simple fact that we are, all of us, headed back to God.
- “Don’t think about the past, just be here now.” The act of staying in the present moment may be the best practice in our mindfulness toolbox.
- “Look at people you don’t love and see them as an exercise for you to open your heart.” We all know that it’s easy to practice loving kindness when we’re not being tested. But wouldn’t it be nice if we could remember our loving kindness when it matters most?
- “When you go out into the woods, and you look at trees, you see all these different trees. And some of them are bent…you sort of understand that it didn’t get enough light, and so it turned that way. And you don’t get all emotional about it. You just allow it. The minute you get near humans, you lose all that. And you are constantly saying ‘You are too this, or I’m too this.’ That judgement mind comes in. And so I practice turning people into trees. Which means appreciating them just the way they are.” No need to comment on this!
Amen, Guruji. Thank you, dear man. Enjoy this new adventure, and Godspeed!