Five Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths
Posted on March 10 2020
There are many reasons to take Epsom Salt Baths, some anecdotal, some backed by scientific studies. Here are five common benefits people report from soaking in Epsom Salt waters.
- It’s good for the skin. Epsom salt bathwater has exfoliant properties which can soften rough, dry skin.
- Reduces discomfort associated with inflammatory conditions. Epsom salt contains magnesium, known to ease pain, swelling and muscle stiffness resulting from physical activity, arthritis, and gout.
- Reduces stress. A warm bath is always relaxing after the stress of modern-day living. Adding Epsom salts to your bath may help to manage magnesium levels that can boost neurotransmitters and promote melatonin, helping you sleep better.
- Good for your feet. Epsom salts help repair damage from foot conditions like Athlete’s Foot, ingrown toenails, and toenail fungus. It may also help eliminate foot odor. Note for Diabetics - Check with your doctor before beginning a regimen of Epsom saltwater baths. Some evidence suggests that Epsom Salt may exacerbate nerve damage in the feet caused by diabetes.
- Splinters. Soaking a splinter in Epsom salt water for a few minutes will soften the affected area making it easier to remove without pushing it further into the skin.