Did you know? National Avocado Day happens every year on July 31! To celebrate one of our favorite foods, we’re here to share some fun facts you may not know about avocados, as well as awesome recipes to help you get your avocado fix for the special day.
Some fun facts about avocados:
- Avocados were first popularized in the US in the 1950s
- The flesh and pit of an avocado can be used to moisturize and condition your hair and skin, remove makeup, and treat wrinkles
- An estimated 53.5 million pounds of guacamole is consumed on Super Bowl Sundays alone
- Avocados are actually classified as berries because they are produced from a single ovary and are a fleshy fruit
- There are over 1,000 varieties of avocados
Fun avocado recipes for the special holiday:
- Avocado Bruschetta with Balsamic Reduction
- Creamy Avocado Soup
- Avocado Ice Cream
- Sweet Potato Avocado Tartare
- Avocado Fries
With these fun recipes and new knowledge about your favorite berry, let’s hop on the avocado train and celebrate!