There’s a new kid in town in the Yoga world called Doga. In the beginning, there was Hatha Yoga Then, not satisfied with this divine gift from the gods, the people ate of the Forbidden Tree of Boredom. And Branches sprung from the Hatha Tree, and these were called Iyengar, and Ashtanga, and Kundalini, and Vinyasa Flow, and Anusara, and Jivamukti, and Bikram — (as if global warming was not hot enough,) and, and, and… We thought we’d hit new lows, (or highs!) when at least one NYC yoga studio began offering wine and chocolates with class. Then came DOGA!!!
Yes, that’s right, Doga. And what exactly is this Doga? Yoga with doughnuts? A toga party for Frou-Frou the poodle? Well. If you guessed it had something to do with dogs, give yourself an extra glass of wine and chocolate.
Yogis, in their insatiable need to come up with the “next thing” have done just that. Doga is yoga with your dog. And we’re not talking Adho Muhka Svanasana here, (Downward Dog for those who refuse to learn proper Sanskrit.) We’re talking full-on classes with you and your pooch on the mat. Just do be attentive to your dog’s location relative to you when you’re standing in Vrikshasana, (Tree Pose.) Bad dog!
Doga aficionados swear the benefits of doing yoga with your dog include:
- Enhanced quality time spent with yogini’s best friend.
- Teach and increase trust between you and your four-legged cohort.
- Reduce anxious behavior in hyperactive canines.
- Laughter! Just try not to laugh watching Fido do Sun Salutations!
- Give YOU an endless supply of videos to post to your favorite yoga/doga platform! What joy! You thought the internet was glutted with with videos of our furry friends before? Hah! You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!
It will be interesting to see what the next Yoga trend will be!